cbotb

Thursday, July 28, 2011

oh, for the love of books...

They are home, (Kurt and Lynzie) and it is nice, just as it should be, when your together with your family!
.
.
.
I had a childhood book when i was little....
well,
I don't remember the book as much as i remember the little record that told the story....
i would listen to it over and over and over again,
up in the bedroom @ 998 South State St.
i had the whole thing memorized,
sometimes I would be Frances, and the the next time I would be Thelma.
I always liked Frances because she sang her little songs, and she wasn't bossy like Thelma was,
i don't remember what happen to that little record...
maybe, it got lost or broken when we moved.
Do any of my brothers and sisters remember this book on record?
but,
it was tucked away in my childhood memories, and forgotten,
until one day a few months ago,
i came acrossed it at the library,
all of a sudden I remembered
"A Bargain For Frances"
A Bargain for Frances Cover

all those childhood memories came back, just like it was yesterday.
i checked it out and brought it home to read and tell my kids about this little treasure of a book.
as i read it to them I could still hear the voices on the record playing in my head,
and i could still imitate Frances tying to be sneaky and Thelma being bossy, it was heavenly.
It's funny how some things never leaves you!
So, we decided we needed to try to find this book and the tape on e-bay or amazon,
cuz it's a good little story but, you've got to listen to the tape to really get the true effect!
so, we searched and found it (and I should have bought it then) but, life got busy again and we moved...
then when Lynzie came home last night at 2 am, she said
"mom, I have a surprise for you!"
and she pulled out "A Bargain For Frances"
and two other books in the series that we didn't even know existed,
so,
we sat down right on the spot, and read then, it was so late but we just couldn't help ourselves,
Lynzie was just as excited as i was..
Borders Bookstores are going out of business and that's were she picked them up while in Utah...
I love her for thinking of me.
and so, these are some other good books,
by Russell Hoban, pictures by Lillian Hoban.

We stopped by Half-Prized Books today but no such luck.....
i'm just going to get back on Amazon and buy the books and tapes, so i can still enjoy then...
so my kids can enjoy then...
and then for sure, my grand babies will love these books just like we do!!!!

One day I was reading one of my favorite blogs and she loved "a Bargain for Frances" too,
and was reading it to her little Piper Jane,
and I felt myself getting a little bit jealous because I thought no one else knew about this book.....
it was just a book in my plain ole' childhood,
and,
how could anyone know and love this book more than me?
but,
they are good enough books to share, so if you get a chance....
oh, and now that i have my own, i'm not so jealous anymore,
go ahead, you can read them!!!

No comments: